Vintage Trailer

Vintage Trailer
Growing up an Iowa Farm Girl

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The First Day of School.... Riding the School Bus

It's back to school time and it brings back memories of my first days of school back in Avoca, Iowa. We always tried to get a "first Day" picture in front of the school bus. Our bus came at 7am. Our Lab "Queenie" wanted to see us off . Our bus driver was Eric Olsen. He was a wonderful man. He was my bus driver for all my years of school. He was really like a father always looking out for us. Later years he would give me basketball advise ... he was always there to talk.
My sister Lois and I on my first day of kindergarten fall of 1969.

3 comments:

  1. Oh do your two "first day of school" pictures bring back memories! My sisters and I also had the same bus driver for many years. After our mother began teaching Kindergarten we usually rode to school, the West Chester, Iowa, school with her. I attended it from the start of Kindergarten until the end of my junior year of high school. After that Phyllis and I went to Mid-Prairie Community High School in Wellman with students from Kalona and Wellman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Barabara,
    My kids go to Mid Prairie in Wellman. I have 2 children that have graduated and now attend the University of Iowa and this year one son will be a freshman in high school and one son will be a 7th grader. Do you get back to this area? I would love to meet you.

    Thanks for following my blogs, I'm new at this.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again, Nancy,
    When I saw the "rie" on the school bus in last year's first day of school picture with your August 3 post, I thought I might be looking at a Mid-Prairie bus. And your pictures of the Columbus Junction swinging bridge let me know your farm isn't very far from where ours were (north and south of West Chester).

    My husband and I will be attending a wedding in Cedar Rapids on September 18 and then staying for a night or two with my sister and her husband in Washington. I notice that your Barntiques Mall isn't open on Sunday or Monday unless by special request. Maybe we can work something out.

    You do indeed have million dollar sunsets--twice a day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails